Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February 1st.

OK, just wanted to write this in case everything turns to shit and I don't have internet.

Cyclone Yasi (basically a category four (or maybe five according to some sorces) hurricane) is supposed to hit Cairns tomorrow evening.

Since I was on the reef for 3 days, we didn't really hear anything until I came in last night. And even then I didn't get any real information until this morning.

I'm booked on the soonest flight I could get which is at 10.30 tomorrow morning to Brisbane.
But my roomate just said she hear that it might be hitting here earlier than planned, in which case I'm not going anywhere.

Also one article I found says the airport is closing at 10 tomorrow.

Perry was swearing up and down last night that it's not going to be a big deal, since we were supposed to get gale force winds when we were on the reef and they failed to exist. But honestly, I think it's going to be bad.

I haven't gotten anything from the airline saying anything yet, and hopefully I will manage to get out.

But if I don't, I won't really know when I'll have internet. It's close to, if not, the worst cyclone to hit Cairns in living memory.
It's assumed there will be no internet, no phones, no nothing.

I have a 5.45 shuttle to the airport tomorrow morning, since I knew it will be chaos I wanted to be very very early. But for all I know it won't show up, or the hostel with be evacuated before then or I'll end up stuck at the airport.

I'll try to update this as soon as I know what's going on, but honestly I'm really worried.
The people who work at the hostel & live here are worried, which means I definitely ought to be.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there;
    Thanks for the great stories on your blog - just super!
    We're keeping an eye on the approaching storm & thinking of you hunkered down while we wait out our beautiful snow storm.

    Please let us know how you are when you can.
    Cheers, Paul & Vickie
    cheers.paul@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete